Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Better Blueberry Pancakes

I’m going to share with you a recipe that I tried this morning out of my Biggest Loser Cookbook.
BETTER BLUEBERRY PANCAKES

Ingredients:

½ cup reduced fat buttermilk
½ cup whole grain oat flour (I used whole wheat flour)
1 large egg white, slightly beaten
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Spray (ICBINB for short)
½ fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries

·         In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, flour, egg white, baking soda, vanilla, and salt. Whisk just until blended. Stir in the blueberries. Let stand for 10 minutes.
·         Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until it is hot enough for a spritz of water to sizzle on it. Briefly remove the pan from the heat and mist lightly with the I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray. Return the pan to the heat. Pour the batter in 1/8 cup dollops (I used a small cookie dough scoop thingy) to form 3 or 4 pancakes. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until bubbles appear on the tops and bottoms are golden brown. Flip. Cook for another 2 minutes or until browned on the bottom.

The instructions go on to say that you are supposed to keep them warm in a 200 degree oven while you make the second batch. But I was just making them for myself, so I didn’t have to do that. Plus most people think it’s ridiculous to do that and they just dole them out as they cook. The batch of batter makes two servings, and it says you can keep it in the fridge for 5 days, so I am just saving the rest of my batter for tomorrow morning.

My review: These pancakes were pretty darn good. I LOVE pancakes, so it’s hard for me not to cook the whole batch of batter up, but the 4 small pancakes definitely filled me up for a bit. I topped mine with a little ICBINB and a small dribble of butter pecan syrup (I don’t use much syrup, so I’m not worried about using the sugar free, low calorie syrup they suggest).

Here’s the nutrition facts also, for those of you interested.



No comments: