Friday, December 13, 2013

Book Club Friday x 2


It may seem as though I have forgotten how to read, what with the lack of book review posts the past few months. However I HAVE finished reading a couple books lately, so I thought I would share them with you.


Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

"The discovery of a dead infant in an Amish barn shakes Lancaster County to its core. But the police investigation leads to a more shocking disclosure: circumstantial evidence suggests that eighteen-year-old Katie Fisher, an unmarried Amish woman believed to be the newborn's mother, took the child's life. When Ellie Hathaway, a disillusioned big-city attorney, comes to Paradise, Pennsylvania, to defend Katie, two cultures collide - and for the first time in her high profile career, Ellie faces a system of justice very different from her own. Delving deep inside the world of those who live "plain," Ellie must find a way to reach Katie on her terms. And as she unravels a tangled murder case, Ellie also looks deep within - to confront her own fears and desires when a man from her past reenters her life."

I probably never would have picked this book up if it hadn't been in a bag of books my mom got from a book sale. Don't get me wrong, I like Jodi Picoult books, but it wasn't on the same level as some of her other books like My Sisters Keeper or House Rules.

Overall, it was fairly predictable throughout the main part of the story, but did end on a good note with a surprise twist at the end.
I give it 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Reason to Breathe by Rebecca Donovan

"In the affluent town of Weslyn, Connecticut, where most people worry about what to be seen in and who to be seen with, Emma Thomas would rather not be seen at all. She’s more concerned with feigning perfection while pulling down her sleeves to conceal the bruises - not wanting anyone to know how far from perfect her life truly is. Without expecting it, she finds love. It challenges her to recognize her own worth - but at the risk of revealing the terrible secret she’s desperate to hide."

This has been on my book wish list for quite a while, so I was really excited to finally get my hands on it. I can't say it was the most original story line I'd ever read, I've stumbled upon a couple other books that follow along the same sort of "gifted girl with abusive/secret home life" books the past few years, but it was an easy read, I found myself going to bed earlier than normal at night so I would have time to get a couple chapters down. 
The real kicker in this book was the ending. I was NOT happy with it, but mostly because it left me needing to know what happens next. It is the first book in the series, so it accomplished the main goal of an author, which is getting me to add her other books to my list. However, if the next book doesn't carry on this girls story, I am going to be REALLY upset because there are some things that need to be explained and finished with this book.

Overall, 3.5. Nothing life changing about this book, but it is a good read and has a nice little teenage love story in there too. 

That's it kids, tune in later to (hopefully) see my next completed Pinterest inspired Christmas craft!

 photo 284877b_zps8b820ec3.png

No comments: