Thursday, March 20, 2014

Recipe Roundup

I have a few more Pinterest recipe discoveries to share with you this week.

Cheeseburger Cauliflower

Chad and I used to eat a lot of hamburger helper when he lived in the Preston House (for those of you not in the know, that was the house he lived in with a menagerie of friends over the course of 4 years). Since we bought our house and it is just the two of us eating meals together (as opposed to anywhere from 3 - 12 people milling around trying to find something to eat) I haven't been making it very much. Not only is there very little nutrition to it, it makes a TON of food. So when I saw this recipe, I thought it was a bit reminiscent of the good ole HH days.
The verdict? Very VERY bland. I was going to cut up some onion to cook with the beef and add a bit more flavor, but I didn't have one. I cooked the beef with garlic and onion powders, but it still didn't give it much taste. The recipe calls for 1 cup of cheese,but I probably put 2.5 cups in, and Chad still went and got a Kraft single to melt on top.
Overall, it was a nice idea, but not one I might recommend (however Chad just yelled at me for using the last of our ground beef to make this recipe, and I politely yelled back that if he wants tacos so damn bad, maybe he should just add some taco seasoning to it and make some effing tacos with it... and it dawned on me that it might not be a bad way to use the leftovers...)

Cheesy Honey Mustard Chicken

This recipe came from Plain Chicken. When I saw it on Pinterest, it seemed right up my alley. Here's the masterpiece featured on the original recipe:
Looks delish, no?

Here's how my version turned out.
I served mine up with a side of green beans sauteed with bacon and Uncle Ben's long grain and wild Ready-Rice. Not too shabby, my friends, not too shabby at all.

I ended up mixing up the sauce when I got home from work and putting it in the dish with the chicken to marinate while I worked out (the recipe didn't say to let it sit in the marinade, but whatever). Then when I got out of the shower after my workout, I popped it in the oven.
The chicken ended up being really moist and flavorful. I spooned some of the sauce in the dish back over the chicken after I put it on my plate, and it kind of puddled up with the beans and the rice and it made me a very happy girl.

This is definitely one that I will be making again.

Teriyaki Salmon with Sriracha Cream Sauce

This recipe was brought to you by Damn Delicious, and if that's not a blog name that makes you want to read, I don't know what is. Follow it up with a picture of this dish, and you're a damn fool if you don't want to eat it.
NOM NOM NOM!

I changed this recipe up just a TEENY bit. For one thing, I didn't plan far enough in advance to let my salmon marinate in the sauce for "at least 30 minutes to overnight". I really didn't even have enough time to let the sauce cool to room temperature without the assistance of my refrigerator. 

The other difference between my meal and Chung-Ah's (she is the creator of Damn Delicious... keep up people!) comes with the Sriracha cream sauce. I basically just mixed a bunch of sriracha with sour cream, as opposed to the mayo and sweetened condensed milk (primarily because I wasn't going to go buy a can of sweetened condensed milk to use 1.5 TBSP and throw the rest away)
And this is the culinary masterpiece that I served up...
Yeah, I see it... obviously I need some SERIOUS help with my presentation and photography skills.

As hideous as my picture is, the taste was good. Again with my go to Uncle Bens Ready Rice as the base. The teriyaki sauce wasn't as sweet as a lot of the store bought stuff, which was nice. And the Sriracha sauce was great. I give this two thumbs up.

That's it for now. But, as long as I keep eating (which I inevitably do), I will keep coming back to tell you what you should and shouldn't bother to ingest.


 photo 284877b_zps8b820ec3.png

No comments: