Sunday, January 11, 2015

Reasons to Shop in the Clearance Section

I am pretty intensely drawn to clearance sections... mainly in the grocery store.
Weird? Maybe. 

BUTTTTTTT, before you start judging me for being so tasteless and cheap, let me just give you a few reasons that I think it's one of the best ways to shop.

1) It's affordable... doyyyyy!
A majority of my money after making my car payment and transferring money to Chad and my joint account (which is strictly for the mortgage and utility bills) goes to groceries. So saving 50% on some meat, seafood, or lunch meat can go a long way. Plus it means that I can afford to make something kind of fancy (like seafood alfredo with prawns and snow crab) that I wouldn't normally be able to justify. 

2) It makes it easier to try new things.
There's been a lot of times when I've found things in the clearance sections of the store that I've been curious about, but haven't wanted to spend all the money to try it, just in case I don't like it and then it goes to waste. So if I see something for 50% off that I think sounds interesting, I'll go for it. Sometimes it works out and I feel like I scored in a major way (or at least as major as you can score with a fancy cup of greek yogurt).

3) It spices up your meal plan.
When I go to the discounted meat section, I never know what I may walk out with. Sometimes there are things that I am really used to making and have some sort of preparation in mind. Other times I end up with a cut of meat that I've never used before and I have to take to Pinterest in order to figure out what to do with it. Chad also really likes it when I surprise him by coming home with 50% off fancy deli meats (like chipotle crusted turkey) and he gets a break from the regular lunch meat in his sandwiches.

So there you have it, three reasons that I like to shop in the clearance sale sections of the store.
 In all honesty, I NEVER buy regular priced meat, unless I've planned a specific meal for some special occasion. And you know what happens if nobody buys that stuff? It goes to waste. Most of the meat, seafood, and fresh pasta stuff (you know, like the bertolli tortellini or whatever) is sold with a day or two before the sell/use by date, so you can stock up, take it home, and throw it in the freezer if you're not going to use it right away.

Happy shopping!

 photo 284877b_zps8b820ec3.png

No comments: